Water & Energy
Utilities continue to strive for more efficient operations, better asset management programs, sustainability, regulatory compliance and implementing appropriate pricing strategies and billing systems.
Considerable debate is currently occurring regarding the water and energy markets. This sector is facing numerous challenges: increasing demand for renewable energy sources, a growing need to invest in Australia’s energy infrastructure, and the pressure to adapt to new policies and public expectations as private and public organisations respond to environmental changes.
The key to navigating this change is good governance and strong risk management.
JNW has assisted many utilities create effective service delivery models, demystify emerging industry risks and strengthen regulatory systems. We have experience in assessing and evaluating business processes such as governance frameworks, risk management, contract management, procurement, asset management, business continuity plans, performance indicators, OH&S frameworks, financial controls, regulatory compliance, IT controls and obligations under the Customer Service Code.
Furthermore, JNW staff have also worked closely with the Victorian regulator, the Essential Services Commission (ESC), to assess compliance with regulatory requirements, review regulatory frameworks and provide recommendations that have streamlined compliance activities.
Our in-depth understanding of a water corporations operations, their risks, opportunities and regulatory challenges, combined with significant industry financial and technical knowledge across a broad range of business processes, enables JNW to bring to deep insight and an ability to make an immediate impact on an entities strategic and operational direction.
Some of our projects that may be relevant to you are detailed below
Essential Services Commission
- Governance controls advice over the VDO pricing model
- Technical advice on Water’s Regulatory Accounting Code
- Regulatory Accounting Statements Code compliance audits – past seven years
- “Fairer Water Bills” initiative review
- Benchmarked the procurement processes
- Procurement & Contract Management Procedures manual
- As Internal Audit Manager, conducted numerous operational audits
- Transaction structure and due diligence for the $920m sale of the national energy retail business
Gippsland Waste & Resource Recovery Group
- Reviewed the draft Board Charter
- Refreshed the Audit & Risk Committee Charter
Plumbing Industry Commission
- Chair of the Audit Committee – six years
- Data verification and due diligence process for the $1b listing on the ASX of Uecomm Ltd
- Business plans for new technologies
- Developed a financial model covering each service and product